Friday, April 28, 2006

Interesting discussion on Java vs Wap development

Check it out over at Mobhappy where Russell discusses usability and development issues around J2ME (that's java on mobile - the technology that is behind most mobile games). Feel free to add your 2p on 'The Frustrations of Java'.

In my own experience of Java, I've just been playing with Mobizines - and it's a smashing experience on my Nokia N70 and I'm really enjoying reading the new content every day, getting the BBC headlines, and a free sudoku each morning. And it updates automatically over the air without any intervention from me which is very cool.

However, it's been a disappointing experience on my Sony Ericsson K700i. I can download the application but no content - I'm guessing it's my wap settings or my operator settings, but even so, playing the role of Joe Public, I would have given it up as a bad job by now. Similarly, my colleague who has a K750i, had the same problems. She's on Orange contract and mine was t-mobile PAYG. Teething troubles I guess as this is a beta version. And this kind of trouble is common when developing Java applications on mobile - compatibility between handsets, by operator etc is a bit of a minefield.

Watch this space though around applications of this kind. There are more coming our way...

2 comments:

  1. Hi John
    Feel free to get in touch offline and we can sort something out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:20 am BST

    Hi John,
    I guess this issue can not be solved for Sony Ericsson p910. well what do you say.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean please. Spam will be removed. And thank you for taking the trouble to read and comment. I appreciate it.