Monday, June 18, 2007

Wikis for marketing

Fox is trying getting all web 2.0 and has created a wiki for the release of the new Fantastic Four movie, Rise of the Silver Surfer' [via Brand Republic]. That piqued my interest, and thought it was an interesting move to allow fans to update the content, so I thought I'd go and check it out.

The site looks like a wikipedia page except that it's wrapped in Fantastic Four branding so the information bit is actually quite tricky to navigate. And when I first looked at it almost a month ago, there was only the 'official' information on there. So I thought I'd check it out again today to see if there were any updates. And I couldn't see any I'm afraid.

So despite the 'edit' tags, either there was a complete lack of interest in updating the site, or it was so good already that it didn't need updating or that the moderators didn't approve any new content.

Or maybe, it just wasn't relevant to the audience who go to wikipedia for this sort of thing and a movie site for trailers and all the glitzy stuff around a movie promotion? I'm not quite sure what the point is of recreating what is essentially the same information that already exists on wikipedia for the movie.

I think wikis can be really handy things in the right circumstances - e.g. collaborating on a project or managing events (the girl geek dinners wiki springs to mind here) but I think you need to be a bit more imaginative to get this working. So 10 out of 10 for effort, but could definitely do better on the implementation and rationale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean please. Spam will be removed. And thank you for taking the trouble to read and comment. I appreciate it.